Sunday, November 16, 2008

Save me


When checking out Smitten Kitchen (one of my favorite blogs), I saw the recipe for these cookies.

If these aren't on someone's list of controlled substances, they should be! They are arguably the best chocolate cookie I have ever tasted (and I've tasted A LOT). They have chopped up Heath bars and walnuts, and just 1/2 cup of flour to one pound of chocolate.

But I'm getting ahead of myself (if you make these cookies, you'll understand). I still don't have a cookable kitchen but when I saw these on SK, I had to make them, like, immediately. I called my friend Susan and she offered to let me use her kitchen. I measured out all the ingredients on top of my unfinished counters, and toddled over to her house with mise en place in hand.

I melted the chocolate and butter, and beat the eggs and sugar for about 6 minutes. Then I added the cooled, melted chocolate, then the dry ingredients, and finally the chopped walnuts and Heath bars. I used mini Heath bars and added about 2 ounces more than the recipe called for, but I would add even more next time.

They were yummy right out of the oven, but they are even better the next day, after they become almost like a thin slightly crisp brownie with chunks of Heath bars and walnuts. Knowing they would be better the next day didn't keep me from eating three of them yesterday. I gave Susan quite a few, and brought the rest home. They don't look so beautiful, but they are amazing. I used Valrhona 61% bittersweet chocolate, but may try them with something a little less pricy in the future. The recipe makes 18 large cookies, but I made them smaller and got almost 4 dozen. You can find the recipe here

No comments: