Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chocolate Orange Marbled Loaf Cake


This week's Tuesdays with Dorie pick comes to us from Carol of The Bake More. This one was on my short list when it was my turn to pick the recipe, and I was eager to make it. Dorie gives us a basic marbled loaf cake recipe with multiple variations, and since we love chocolate and orange together, I knew which one I would make.

Not surprisingly, I used 70% cacao chocolate to get the biggest chocolate flavor, and it actually made the chocolate part of the dough quite stiff, so my swirling left a lot to be desired. I baked my loaf in my Nancy pan (click here to read the story behind my Nancy pan) and it was done in an hour. I loved the more slender shape of the loaf, and especially loved the dramatic crowning of the loaf.


I find many marbled loaf cakes to be dry, but this one was moist and delicious. The orange was the perfect foil to the chocolate. I served this one on its own, but it could be dressed up with a chocolate ganache, whipped cream, vanilla ice cream or sliced berries. It was an easy yet impressive cake to whip up. Dorie's other flavor combinations sound delicious, too, and the other TWD bakers loved the white chocolate mint combo (you can find out what they thought here).

Thanks to Carol for choosing this recipe for us to discover this week. It's a winner that I will make again and again. If you'd like to add it to your short list, Carol has the recipe for you here.

12 comments:

Pamela said...

I've seen a number of those gorgeous, slender marble loaves this morning! So pretty. Chocolate and orange was my second choice. Sounds delicious!

Joy said...

I love your pan! That's a beautiful cake, and it would make the perfect sized slices.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your cake is gorgeous! I love how it crowned; mine didn't do that at all. Chocolate and orange would be delicious in this recipe. After seeing Kayte's pink cake, I'm slightly obsessed with trying this in raspberry/vanilla.

Unknown said...

Seeing everyone's loaves baked in the Nancy pans really makes me wish I'd used mine. They look so pretty! I almost made the chocolate/orange variation but heard so many raves about the peppermint on Twitter that I just had to try it :)

TeaLady said...

The Nancy Pan was perfect for this loaf giving us nice slender slices and more of them.

Cake looks just fine to me.

Anonymous said...

Chocolate and orange sounds like a delicious combo! I like eating a piece of loaf cake plain, but my husband is looking for the embellishments.

margot said...

Your cake looks so pretty! Chocolate and orange is always a winner in my opinion. That pan is fabulous.

natalia said...

Ciao Leslie ! Beautiful cake ! I love your flavours !Baci (did you see my swan swirl ?)

Cakelaw said...

Your cake looks great - and Jaffa cake is a great flavour combination.

Peggy said...

Well I feel so left out. I don't have a Nancy pan! But your cake looks delicious. I bet the orange flavor was wonderful in that with the chocolate. I did peppermint in mine.

Kayte said...

Great looking loaf...loved the shape of yours, and isn't all that marbling fun to see this week on the blogs...little works of art! How fun so many of us used the Nancy Pan this week!

Di said...

I really need to make this one! I love seeing everyone's pans; I need to use mine more.