Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Browniepalooza Day 2 - Triple Chocolate Brownies


It's Browniepalooza this week at Lethally Delicious. I'm trying a different brownie recipe each day, building up to my very favorite one on Friday. Wonder what it could be?

Today is a bit of a rerun. I've made these brownies hundreds of times, and this has been my go-to brownie recipe for years. In the five way tasting, this beat out all the other brownies on M's tasting sheet and it narrowly topped my favorite in a tasting at work. Maybe it's the toasty pecans on top, or the chocolate chips inside. Whatever it was, this brownie has its fans.

I make these with Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet chips. It's my favorite every day chocolate, and not even I dip into the expensive French chocolate when I make brownies.

Triple Chocolate Brownies
Printer friendly recipe

6 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I use Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet chips)
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups (10.2 ounces) sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 cup (5 oz) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup (3 1/2 ounces) chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds (optional)

Butter and flour a 13" x 9" pan and set aside. In a metal bowl, combine the butter, bittersweet and unsweetened chocolates and set it over a pan of simmering water. Stir until the chocolates and butter are melted and combined, then remove from the heat. Let the mixture cool until it is lukewarm, then stir in the sugar and the vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring until incorporated. Add the flour and the salt, stirring until just combined (a few flecks of flour are OK), then mix in the semi-sweet chips. Spread in the prepared pan, smooth the top and scatter the nuts over the top, pressing very lightly.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until a tester comes out with crumbs adhering to it. Cool completely before cutting.

8 comments:

natalia said...

Ciao ! I'll have to start a brownie week after yours to try them all !

Unknown said...

These look wonderful - and a favorite of many years usually can't be beat.

spike. said...

I love your brownie week! This looks like a great go to recipe. Can't wait to see what's up next

Pamela said...

Another delicious looking brownie. The nuts on top would totally make me swoon.

Mary said...

Yum. I have room in my heart for many kinds of brownies :).

TeaLady said...

MMMMmmmm!!!!!

Unknown said...

I love the Ghirardelli 60% chips too - I always stock up big time when I find them on sale. Reading through all of your brownie posts has me really craving them...I'm trying to resist the urge to head into my kitchen and bake!

the scarecrow said...

These look divine! I honestly wish I weren't in a crappy apartment with no oven so I could make them too. Jealous!