Tuesday, August 4, 2009

TWD - Classic Banana Bundt Cake


I am living proof that sometimes, learning does not occur.

I looked at the title of this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe, I thought "how dull." I mean, I've made hundreds of banana breads, cakes, muffins, cupcakes, smoothies, etc. What did I really need with yet another recipe that starts with mashed extra ripe bananas?

Well, those other banana recipes weren't Dorie's recipes. You would think I would have learned by now that Dorie's recipes are in a class by themselves.

I have a banana bread recipe I have made since woolly mammoths roamed the earth. It's moist, easy and made entirely in the food processor. I've never shared it with you, although I have meant to.

Sharing it is now unnecessary.

Say hello to Dorie's banana bundt cake. It may be the only banana recipe you ever need.


In the interest of fair disclosure, I have to admit I added a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, and I topped it with Dorie's chocolate glaze. For some unknown reason (operator error? serendipity?), the "glaze" didn't glaze at all. It became semi firm, and I was distraught that I had done that to my lovely cake. I brought it in to work, wrote a note of apology for the Glaze That Didn't, and went on with my morning.


And then the accolades started rolling in. People were wowed by the cake. They loved the chewy nature of the Glaze That Didn't. They told me not to change a thing next time. I hadn't tasted it yet, so I grabbed a taste thinking they were being kind.

It was fantastic, and I agree completely that the chewy Glaze That Didn't was perfect the way it was. For as many times as I've made banana bread, I'm very ambivalent about it. I like my bananas eaten as a piece of fruit. But this cake changed all that.

Mary of The Food Librarian picked this week's recipe, and she scored big points here. She'll have the recipe posted, but be sure to spend some time on her blog. I LOVE her photography and I think you will, too.

29 comments:

natalia said...

Ciao ! I love the chocolate addition !! Apparently this cake was a hit all around the world !

Michele said...

Lovely cake! The chocolate was a great idea!

Amanda said...

I love that, the Glaze That Didn't! LOL We loved this cake so much I have received several requests to make it again. Will make a great snack cake for back to school!

Steph said...

I'm going to have to try that glaze next time. I'm always looking for a chewy chocolate frosting.

spike. said...

I went with chocolate and banana too- although I should have tried a chocolate glaze (that didn't) too because it looks amazing!

Unknown said...

yeah, this cake was super tasty. Definitely the best banana bread I have made.

...wooly mammoths. That made me laugh :)

sara/imafoodblog.com

Bella Baker said...

Ha, isn't it the best feeling when you think something you made was a total disaster and then the raves start pouring in! I am the queen of freaking out about messing up a recipe, just to find out that everyone loved the exact thing that I thought was messed up!! Great job, the cake looks awesome!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

I would have loved your glaze that didn't! :) It look fantastic!

chocolatechic said...

I love the glaze that didn't.

Perfect.

Katy said...

Looks wonderful, and I'm loving the Glaze the Didn't!! :)

Flourchild said...

Great looking cake! I love this recipe and plan on making it several times in the future!

Pamela said...

The Glaze that Didn't. I Love it!! I'm glad it was a success. It really was a delicious cake. Another fine job, my friend!

TeaLady said...

This WAS the best bananananana cake I have ever had. And, like you, I have had trillions.

Yours looks lovely.

Glaze that didn't. LOL

margot said...

Yum, love it with the chocolate glaze, I'm glad it worked out. I didn't expect to be wowed by this one either and it was amazing.

Unknown said...

Your cake looks terrific - love the chocolate glaze! I thought about adding chocolate chips but got lazy and left them out. Next time though - and there will definitely be a next time because I was a fan of this one too!

Tammy said...

I agree, this is the best banana cake recipe I have made

Jenn H in San Diego said...

I need to be more like you and stop following the directions! Chocolate would have been a big wow idea. Hey -- I guess I'll have to make it again just so I can add the chocolate.

Marthe said...

Oooow, chocolate is such a great idea, gonna try it next time!!

Katrina said...

Ooh, yum, to your Glaze That Didn't! Delish. I almost always add choc chips to my banana bread/muffins. This "cake" was awesome and totally usable for other things as well--like muffins, etc. So moist and yummy! I made mine with a cream cheese frosting, but I'll have to post it next week, I'm out of town and forgot to take my computer with me!

Kayte said...

Looks beautiful to me! Matt was asking for come chocolate frosting on this cake and I wasn't sure that would work, but I see that it does. We have a few slices left, so I will surprise him and drizzle a little ganache over it for him today. Very pretty cake!

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Looks great and I love the chocolate addition.

Anonymous said...

Glad it was a success! I like the choc chip and choc glaze additions. YUM!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

This recipe snuck up on me, too! I think I'll be retiring my usual recipe also (I made mine with half whole wheat flour and it was yummy)

Cakelaw said...

Looks fabulous Leslie - the glaze is the crowning glory on a beautiful cake.

The Food Librarian said...

Your cake looks awesome! I got lots of emails from co-workers about the cake too! :) Thanks so much for baking along with me this week!!! - mary the food librarian

AmyRuth said...

Ah Leslie, here I was thinking I would save myself some non-calories waiting for those darn bananas to ripen (they always disappear) so I can bake and then I come here to learn its worth the calories. What's a girl to do? Don't you love it when a "sleeper" surprises you? You are funny. I always love giggling with your posts. Thanks
AmyRuth

Anonymous said...

Isn't it fun when something is a surprise hit? I thought this would be dull too, but it was so good! It sounds like your coworkers really loved this.

vibi said...

Yes, I was on vacation for most of the passed two weeks... no, I haven't deserted ya!

And yes... this bundt looks delish, sublime... and with chocolate on top, phew... who could resist!?

Marta said...

hahaha I slightly resent it when I found new and better recipes than my old classics :(
This looks delicious and moist, can't go wrong with Dorie, I guess!