Thursday, August 20, 2009

CEiMB - Ellie Krieger's Thai Mushroom Salad


Our Craving Ellie in My Belly selection for the week was Grilled Thai Beef Salad. I'm not a huge fan of beef, and I'm chickened out, so I decided to take this one vegetarian and make it with portobello mushrooms. I also had some corn on the cob in the fridge so I grilled that up with the mushrooms.

The marinade/dressing was incredibly flavorful, combining lime juice, soy sauce, red chili paste, garlic and ginger. This is the second Ellie dressing in the last few weeks that I have completely flipped over (the other one was the dressing for the cobb salad, and I mixed up another batch of that one just the other night). I had a huge bunch of Thai basil from my CSA box, and it added an incredibly fragrant hit of flavor to this salad.

This salad was yet another Ellie recipe that I looked at and thought it sounded rather pedestrian, but oh my, the flavor combination was amazing! This one is going into the rotation. I encourage you to try it with the mushrooms or different grilled veggies in addition to or instead of meat (or even a nice piece of swordfish). But if you like steak, try that as it sounds like it would be great.

If you'd like the recipe, check out Jen B's Cooking Carveout as Jen will have it, or you can find it on the Food Network site here.

This will likely be my last CEiMB post as I will be taking a break from active blogging for the month of Ramadan. I'm trying to get a few posts up before Saturday but arrrggghhhh I'm so behind! If you leave a comment here I'll stop by and visit, but this is a good opportunity to get my rampant blog addiction under control! I'll be back after Sept. 20th.

Peace.

12 comments:

Kayte said...

Oh, I love the idea of subbing a p.mushroom here for this recipe. I am going to do that, too, as I loved the dressing and was looking for more occasions to use it. We liked the beef very much, but the mushroom would be well received also...thanks for the idea. Your salad looks wonderful. We will miss you in the blogging world, and look forward to your return!

Pamela said...

Neat! I think it's a great idea to sub in the Portabello. And it sounds delicious. Haven't made this one yet as I got too lazy when I should have been grilling the steak. Looking forward to it, though.
Have a good month! I'll miss you! Take care.

Bella Baker said...

Your salad looks delicious! The mushrooms were such a great idea!! YUM! I would love this salad with mushrooms!! Enjoy your month! We will miss you!

Anonymous said...

I love it! The mushrooms are a super idea. It looks delish!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I love the mushrooms and the corn. I agree that this marinade/dressing was tops.

sara/imafoodblog.com

Anonymous said...

I love thai flavorings and like that you subbed mushroom. The dressing sounds wonderful.

Sarah said...

I really wanted to try this one, but I am headed out of town this evening. I will have to make it another time. Yours sounds delicious.

Maria Salomon said...

I love the idea of the porto. mushrooms.....I must try that!
Enjoy the holiday!

margot said...

This sounds delicious and good job adding extra vegetables instead of beef. Have a good holiday an blogcation.

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Love the mushroom idea. I'm not a huge steak fan and this would be the perfect fix to an already yummy dish.

Peggy said...

great salad - loved the mushroom idea. Enjoy your time off from blogging but we'll miss you.

Jennifer said...

Looks great! Thanks for cooking with me this week. Enjoy your break from blogging!