Thursday, March 12, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers - Chicken Picatta


This week's Barefoot Bloggers recipe is Chicken Picatta, chosen for us by Lindsey of Noodle Nights and Muffin Mornings. I was excited about this one as it is easy and inexpensive.

I did take a short cut. I bought sliced chicken breasts, so I didn't have to pound them. This is such an easy recipe that dinner was ready early...that never happens! I served it with brown rice and steamed broccoli. The pan sauce was delicious with the chicken (and the broccoli). The sauce tasted a little too lemony on its own, but with the chicken it was spot on flavor wise.

There are one or two things I will do differently next time. After sautéing, the chicken bakes on a sheet pan with parchment paper. That made the bottom of the chicken soggy. I think I'll bake it on a rack over the sheet pan so the bottom gets heat and stays crisp. I would also double the sauce since it was so good and such a natural to put over your veggies. I might also saute some spinach in that pan sauce and pour the whole thing over the chicken.

Give this one a try! It's awesome and easy, a perfect Tuesday night dinner.

You can find the recipe here. If you'd like to join us in cooking and blogging about Barefoot Contessa recipes, here's how you do it.

11 comments:

Linds said...

Thanks for participating...your piccata looks delicious. Glad you enjoyed the recipe!

Suzie said...

Looks great - we really liked it too. Hard to go wrong with a recipe like this isn't it?

BMK said...

Love the step by step pics. This will be a weeknight regular at our house too!

Aggie said...

This was a great recipe! I like your idea about baking the chicken on a rack, I noticed mine soggy on the bottom too...and I agree about the sauce, I poured it on my veggies too...and wished I had more!

Yours looks delish!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love the idea of the spinach! Glad you enjoyed it... it was so easy, wasn't it?
~Delta Whiskey (Cat)

spike. said...

Looks good. The sauce is definitely perfect for veggies!

Every Day Gourmet said...

Yours does look good! I would agree with you about the leftovers. I tasted wonderful the next day too.

Pamela said...

I was recently talking about finding a good chicken Picata recipe, and it looks like I have found it! Looks delicious.

amanda said...

Looks delicious! I bought the thin breasts too. Sometimes it's worth it to take a few shortcuts, huh?

Matt's Kitchen said...

I loved that lemony sauce, too. I also like your idea of baking them on a rack to avoid a soggy bottom!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the chicken cutlets - much easier! My sauce was super tart, so I'll be taste-testing next time!