Wednesday, February 4, 2009

TWD Redux -- Making Peace with World Peace Cookies

My first go at these cookies was not my finest hour. I expected crumbly, but not this

I was amazed at the love and support I got from my fellow bakers. It really cheered me up...I can't thank you all enough. After all of the encouragement, I decided to try WPC again. I had received a wealth of suggestions from other bakers (add an egg, reduce the flour by 2 tablespoons and increase the butter by one tablespoon, mix until it forms a ball, etc.) and I wanted to try some of them.  As I mixed the dry ingredients, the reason for my ultra crumbly cookies came to me...in doubling the recipe, I made a mistake in weighing my flour and added quite a bit more than the recipe called for. This time, I ended up making the recipe as written, but did mix it quite a bit more, and I used chopped chocolate instead of the mini chips.

Again, I was giddy thinking about them at work today, but this time because my dough resembled that in the other bakers' photos. After dinner, I sliced some off (I just got this creepy feeling that I'm living the movie Groundhog Day!), baked them off and waited for them to cool before gingerly trying to lift one off the cookie sheet. I tasted it in all its oozy chocolate goodness...

I felt like screaming, crying, fainting, high-fiving, moaning, singing, all at once. Instead, a peaceful sigh escaped my lips before I reached for another. Sometimes, I thought, you just have to give peace a chance.

15 comments:

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your blog comments are becoming my confessional of forgotten ingredients! Today I left the blueberries out of blueberry muffins. I had to stir them into the individual muffin cups. Honestly, making a recipe completely correctly can be elusive at times. I'm so glad you tried again with these, AND that you loved them!!!!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

yaaay! so glad you tried these again--when they come out right, they're so worth it :)

fwiw, i always get measurements wrong when i scale recipes. it's gotten to the point where i'm always second guessing myself--kinda like when you leave home and ask yourself, "did i close the garage door?" and drive back to check...for the third time! hee hee.

Unknown said...

Glad you gave the WPCookies another chance - and that you loved them!

Unknown said...

i am sending you an e-high-five!

lola said...

Glad you tried WPCookies again. Also, thanks for your comment about the egg wash, turbinado sugar and a little salt. I use this with just the sugar on biscotti recipes. I really like the extra crunch and kick.

Pamela said...

Yeah!! Like everyone else, I'm so glad you "gave Peace a chance". Well, another chance, anyway. They look great!!

Unknown said...

Yay! Good job! Don't feel bad about your mishap. One time I doubled a brioche recipe and forgot to double the butter - kind of defeats the purpose when you are essentially making butter bread. I also did not realize it until I had used the dough to make cinnamon rolls and wondered why they weren't as tasty are normal. :)
Sara/Imafoodblog

Anonymous said...

Hooray you gave them a second chance. Glad you liked them.

TourGuideJenn said...

Glad you tried these again (and didn't do all the things on your list at once!). They sure were good -- congrats on your re-do!

Liz said...

Awesome! Your previous entry was heart-breaking (all that work for nothing!) so I'm so glad you made them again and got to enjoy them. Yours look perfect!

TeaLady said...

Glad they worked for you the second time around. They were worth it, weren't they??? I have many times left ingredients out. Made a roll cake and left out the baking powder. ANd it was for my Mom's b'day. Now I read it several times. YOurs look great.

Lynne Daley said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had trouble with these cookies. Great perseverance on your part making them again. They look great. Maybe I'll give them another chance sometimes. I almost added an egg, but thought "if Dorie thought it needed an egg, she would have it in the recipe". Not true, I guess.

Joy said...

I don't know if you already baked off all the first batch, but the raw dough is pretty tasty, too! I'm impressed with your perseverance - twice in a week!

Anonymous said...

my original try at these came out crumbly... but super tasty. I plan on trying again soon, hopefully this time with more success. Yours look great and are making me hungry.

LyB said...

Having read your first post about these, I'm really glad they worked out for you this time! :) They do look delicious.