Thursday, February 12, 2009

CEiMB - Sesame-Teriyaki Chicken Thighs


So, it occurred to me around 4:30 Weds. night that I really needed to get my act together and make this recipe. I mean, I needed something to break up the chocolate truffle blockade, and some light and tasty chicken is just the ticket.

It's raining like crazy in the Bay area, and thank God it is because we really need it. It made getting a parking space at Trader Joe's easier since anyone with half a brain decided to go straight home and eat food they already owned, even if it was cereal.

Not me. I was on the hunt for chicken thighs (I needed more than chicken for the recipe, but didn't realize it till I was home). They had them but they were boneless, which will do but aren't ideal. Cooking chicken on the bone gives a more flavorful result, and when we cut back on fats, building flavors is important.

The marinade is so ridiculously easy; really, the whole dish couldn't be easier. I let it marinade in the fridge while I made, yes, ANOTHER batch of Nutella truffles. I put it under the broiler and kept watch over it, turning after 7 minutes. It smelled fantastic and got a little black around the edges. I love eating the little overcooked edges of food so this was a treat!

I'm not a huge fan of chicken thighs in general but these were great. They were tender, moist and flavorful. I had added a little sesame oil to the marinade which gave them a subtle nutty flavor (good thing since I was out of sesame seeds!)

Craving Ellie in My Belly is a group of bloggers who cook a recipe from Ellie Krieger's book The Foods You Crave. I love cooking with this talented group; they always inspire me. Check on their chicken here.

8 comments:

What's for Supper? said...

This really was a great recipe. I think that I will use the marinade when we start grilling outside again this spring!

Unknown said...

They look perfect. What a good idea to add some sesame oil, I will try that next time.

Pamela said...

Hmmmm...apparently I'm behind on reading your blog, because I just found out about those Nutella truffles! The chicken looks great!

Anonymous said...

It was a great, easy recipe. It was hard to concentrate on the chicken after you mentioned the Nutella truffles though! Oh my goodness they sound great.

Jennifer said...

Your chicken looks great! I added a little sesame seed oil to the marinade too! I forgot all about adding the oil until I just read your blog! Hmm.. my memory is failing me. One thing is for sure...I won't forget to make this recipe again. It was fabulous and SO easy!

Pamela said...

Me again...I would like to share some awards with you. Please stop in when you get a minute!

Cathy said...

It looks great! I thought this was a fabulous marinade -- definitely one I'll turn to again and again. Brilliant thinking to add some sesame oil to it!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your changes sound great. I have become a big fan of chicken thighs lately; they hold their own with a hearty sauce. Nice job.
Nancy