Friday, March 30, 2012

Irish Soda Bread


I knew, I knew when I signed up for Tuesdays with Dorie 2.0 that my life gets busy, out of control, and that I sometimes work 14 hour days for weeks on end. In moderation is a fascinating phrase to me, one which I'm scarcely acquainted with. When I'm getting ready to go on vacation, I tend to work more than the average (normal) person, and the few weeks leading up to this recipe were no exception. Worse, M. was traveling, so I had absolutely no reason not to show up at work at 6:30 AM, and not go home before 8 or 9 or...worse.

In the middle of this insanity, it was time to make Irish Soda Bread from Baking with Julia. I literally threw this recipe together when I rolled out of bed at 5:15, and was still in my chair at work by 6:30, with warm bread for other lunatics coworkers who might show up around the same time. I used raisins, and I didn't plump them in spite of my better judgment, so they did look a little charred around the edges. No matter, this easy, delicious loaf was spectacular with softened butter and the odd crumbs I spotted on the carpet in our office were telltale evidence that this one was very popular.

If you'd like the recipe for this one, you can find it with either Cathy of My Culinary Mission or Carla of Chocolate Moosey.

11 comments:

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

Love soda bread. I make mine plain, no raisins. Good warm or cold! Yours looks fabulous.

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

Looks great! Thanks for posting - I was needing a fix! Hahaha...

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about those loooong hours. But at least this week you had wonderful warm soda bread to brighten one morning! I love the traditional shape and the slash you cut.

Anonymous said...

That would be a fantastic reward for coming in to work early!

Di said...

Thankfully, my work schedule hasn't been quite as crazy as yours. =) But I have to admit, it's nice to have a bit of company in the late posters club. Especially since I feel kind of silly, since it was an easy recipe to make.

Torviewtoronto said...

this bread looks fabulous

Torviewtoronto said...

this bread looks fabulous

Cindy said...

I didn't make this loaf but I will soon. It got rave reviews from everyone that made it. We can always depend on Dorie.
I really would like to work with you, you're coworkers are lucky.

pinkstripes said...

Oh, man. your work schedule sounds exhausting. Your bread looks great and I'm sure it was appreciated by your co-workers.

Elizabeth - SugarHero.com said...

Wow. I don't know if I could start work at 6:30 for one day, much less days on end. Props to you! At least you had this soda bread to keep you company during a long day. :) Hope you're loving your vacation!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your hectic work life. I used to have a job where I regularly worked 12+ hour days and it is mentally exhausting. I hope you have some time to relax coming up soon!

My grandpa used to make Irish Soda Bread, so this recipe always brings back good memories. Yours turned out beautiful, as always!