It's Tuesday and I'm still making up recipes from Baking From My Home to Yours like my life depends on it. At the beginning of the year, I had 78 recipes to make up. I'm not sure how many are left, but it's lots less than 78.
This recipe is perfection as a do ahead, and even if you're making it from start to finish, it's still very doable on a weeknight. I made some changes:
- We have tons of desserts around so I made 1/4 of the recipe, yielding 2 crisps.
- I didn't have dried cranberries, so I substituted chopped walnuts.
- I considered adding cardamom to the crisp topping but didn't. I think it would be awesome so if you try it please let me know how you liked it.
- You can use practically any fruit with this one. Really, grapefruit, pears, berries, stone fruit, you can use them all.
- Dorie's crisp topping is quite unusual in that it has oats and coconut, but it works beautifully, and is easy to throw together as it's made in the food processor.