Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Cran-Apple Crisps


It's Tuesday and I'm still making up recipes from Baking From My Home to Yours like my life depends on it. At the beginning of the year, I had 78 recipes to make up. I'm not sure how many are left, but it's lots less than 78.

This recipe is perfection as a do ahead, and even if you're making it from start to finish, it's still very doable on a weeknight. I made some changes:

  • We have tons of desserts around so I made 1/4 of the recipe, yielding 2 crisps.
  • I didn't have dried cranberries, so I substituted chopped walnuts.
  • I considered adding cardamom to the crisp topping but didn't. I think it would be awesome so if you try it please let me know how you liked it.
  • You can use practically any fruit with this one. Really, grapefruit, pears, berries, stone fruit, you can use them all.
  • Dorie's crisp topping is quite unusual in that it has oats and coconut, but it works beautifully, and is easy to throw together as it's made in the food processor.
If you'd like the recipe, you can find it here.

7 comments:

Di said...

Mmm. I haven't made a fruit crisp in way too long. That looks like it would be delicious for breakfast. =)

Anonymous said...

I love crisps for their simplicity and for a perfect ice cream companion.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Leslie, what a pretty crisp! And may I say that I missed you around here?! We really liked this crisp - I made 1/4 recipe also, and didn't have any coconut opened so substituted nuts, but some time I'd really like to try it with the coconut in the topping. The older I get the more I like coconut, although my husband does not agree with me!

Cindy said...

I love oats and coconut together. This must be delicious.

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies said...

I will add cardamom to anything. Anything! It's one of my favorite spices. I love a good crisp--it's the perfect comfort food!

Pamela said...

I loved this one! A big favorite around here during thanksgiving and the holiday season. Or whenever we have apples. So good!!

TeaLady said...

We liked this one and loved the topping the best. I still have some left and have been using it on other goodies.