Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Snickery Squares


I love a snickers bar. The peanuts paired with caramel and some chocolate to hold it all together. Mmm.

This recipe in Baking From My Home to Yours has stopped me each time I've thumbed through the book. When I read the number of components and started imagining how many dirty dishes I would end up with, I always kept going. Until now that is. Nancy and Margaret and I are completing the recipes we missed in BFMHTY and that means I have to make every one of them.

Once I got over needing to make every single component myself (I've made dulce de leche before, and I didn't even like it when it was homemade), the recipe wasn't that bad. I made it in stages: the candy coated peanuts, the crust and then the finally assembly once the crust was fully baked. I honestly didn't expect to like these once I knew they contained dulce de leche, but I was pleasantly surprised: The salty peanuts, rich crust and dark chocolate tie it all together in a way that puts the flavor of the DDL in the background. All in all they were well received and there were no complaints about them being rich (they were), messy (very much so) or overly sweet (ditto).

I think I'd like to try these again with caramel (which is how Nancy was going to make them). I had already purchased a jar of DDL when Nancy made that decision, or I would have gone the same route.

If you'd like the recipe, you can find it on the original TWD post here.


8 comments:

pinkstripes said...

Both your post and Nancy's post are making me crave these bars again.

Cindy said...

I didn't make this one either--probably for the same reasons! Sometime recipes just require more than I can give that day.
But they do look delicious.

Anonymous said...

I made these not too long ago and really liked them - especially the peanuts! I think caramel would be more true to a Snickers bar than dulce de leche.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Taken piece by piece, this recipe wasn't that difficult, and the results were well worth the effort. I am in agreement about the meh-ness of DDL; I'd recommend the caramel route - it was good in these!

Cakelaw said...

These sound sooooo good. I haven't ever made these - same reason as you!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies said...

I love all the components of Snickers, but I don't like the candy bar very much--I eat it once in a while, but not often. This sounds SO much better, either with the caramel or DDL. Your blog always makes me hungry!

Pamela said...

I made these a couple of years ago. Looks good! Makes me feel like I should make 'em again soon.

TeaLady said...

I have made these more times than i can count. They are SOOOOO good.

And so rich!!! Now i want to make them again!!