Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Brown Sugar Pecan Shortbread


I know it was just last week that I was sniffling and bidding farewell to Baking From My Home to Yours, but my friend Nancy came up with a great idea that I'm grabbing hold of, too. Nancy is determined to make every recipe in the book, starting with the very first recipe chosen, and she's doing the recipes in the same order. That means the first recipe is brown sugar pecan shortbread.

Over the years, I looked longingly at these cookies, but I don't think I've ever made them. I've said many times that I love Dorie's method for rolling out shortbread: pile the dough in a gallon size zip top bag and roll it out to the right dimensions. That ends up being the width but not length of the bag. To avoid repeated measuring, I draw a little line on the bag with a Sharpie.

Although the recipe doesn't call for it, I toasted the pecans before grinding them into a flour in my food processor. I find this really enhances the nutty flavor and especially the aroma. I also left out the cloves.

The comments from the Tuesdays with Dorie bakers who made this recipe indicated the cookies spread a lot. I froze half and refrigerated the other half 15 minutes before baking and there wasn't an appreciable difference. I think you'll want to do one or the other since these have so much butter.

They were done (even a touch overdone) two minutes earlier than the recipe indicated, so if you make them definitely check them way before they are supposed to be done. If you'd like to give them a try, you can find the recipe here.

I have 78 recipes to go in order to make every recipe in the book, and I'd like to do it before the end of this year. That takes into account recipes I made, but never posted. On the weeks where I've made the corresponding recipe, I'll substitute another one from my list. This will give me the opportunity to make fruit desserts in season.

I've also reconsidered and will be jumping into Baking with Julia when the group starts that book next month. I probably won't make every recipe. I hope!

13 comments:

Kayte said...

Those look very nice. I am amazed that you are going to make every recipe in the book...I thought about it but with Matt away (and all his eating friends), I have fewer eaters or options at dropping food, and frankly, I have not that much of a sweet tooth so the thought of eating all these desserts I would need to make sort of made reason settle in and I decided not to even try. I may make a few, but nothing routinely. Looking forward to the new book. And, I am looking forward to seeing your posts on all of these recipes! Happy New Year!

Cindy said...

I didn't make these either. But I do love shortbread, I agree on the toasted pecan issue.
I'm still debating about Baking with Julia. I need to look at the cookbook.
Decisions, decisions!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I am SO GLAD that you are baking along with my little TWD catch-up project. Thrilled, actually! Now, I just have to hurry up and get my shortbread post written! Yours look good; and I agree that toasting nuts makes all the difference in the world to the finished taste.

Jules Someone said...

Those look fabulous! SO glad you'll be baking along with Julia. This time around we're only baking 2x a month. Plus, there are more savory options.

Anonymous said...

Yay for Baking with Julia!

Unknown said...

I'm so impressed that so many of you have jumped right back into TWD for the recipes you missed. I have some I'd like to try too but I need a little break :)

Your cookies look perfect, and I have to ask where you got the napkin (placemat?) under the plate - it's gorgeous!

natalia said...

Ciao Leslie ! I was doing the same but not in the original order let's see how brave I'll be ! Your cookies are great looking I'll send Andrea around to look for pecans ! Baci

Flourchild said...

Im so glad your rethinking about joining the next group! It wont be the same without you. Your cookies look fantastic!! I loved this recipe and plan to make them again!

TeaLady said...

YAY!! I found someone with more recipes to catch up on than me!!! I should have made these for this week but had my recipes mixed up. so while you are making brownies, I will be making these cookies. And those look perfect.

I love her method also.

Katrina said...

Great idea to go back and "play" again. I didn't get to make those either. I should play along, but need to take a little break from the eating involved with all the baking. ;)
Can't wait for BWJ though!

Lisa said...

Those look so simple and sound packed with flavor. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your shortbread up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweets-for-saturday-51.html

Mannequins Dream said...

looks delish! great job!! :D Xx

Di said...

Yay! I'm glad that you're going to do BwJ. =) I know I'm never going to make all of the recipes from Baking, but I admire those of you who are doing it.