Sunday, July 18, 2010

Chocolate Pecan Brownies & Sour Cherry and Almond Biscotti


I was craving chocolate when I noticed that Tiffany of A Spoonful of Laughter And A Heap of Love had chosen chocolate walnut brownies for this week's Sweet Melissa Sundays.

M. was working away on his laptop when I called out "Walnuts or pecans in the brownies?" I already knew the answer but occasionally he'll surprise me. This week, it was the predictable choice of pecans for our brownies.

The recipe is a little different than the brownie recipes I usually make. Melt chocolate and butter - check. Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla until pale yellow - what? I knew this would make the brownies more light and caky than dense and chewy. Knowing they would tend to be cakier than we like, I set the timer for 40 minutes, the low end of the time range. Melissa's recipes and my oven seem not to be calibrated, so I checked the brownies after 37 minutes. Yikes! The top was dull and they had pulled away from the pan. I yanked them out of the oven and hoped for the best.

Unfortunately, they were a bit drier than we like. They lasted 4 days, an eternity for a brownie in this house, and the extra days didn't make them any moister. The chocolate flavor wasn't as prominent as we like. Although I enjoyed making these and was intrigued by Melissa's technique, these won't be a repeat around here. Sorry, Tiffany!

Check out how the other SMS bakers fared with their brownies. You can find them here.


I also made last week's Sour Cherry & Almond Biscotti. I made them last Sunday, in plenty of time to post, but was struck by a wave of laziness so I never completed the post. I didn't mound my dough up enough and they ended up too brown for my liking, but the flavors were great. I especially liked how the recipe has you reconstitute the dried sour cherries by boiling them in orange juice. That kept them from being hard, chewy nuggets in the biscotti. These biscotti were chosen for Tracey of Made by Tray Tray. Thanks, Tracey! We both ate these for breakfast (I know, I know) on more than one morning.

14 comments:

Candy said...

I always gauge the success of a recipe by how long it lasts around here too! Sorry these didn't turn out for you!

Katiecakes said...

Double header? Go you :D

Both look super yummy :)

Katie xox

TeaLady said...

Brownies with pecans. Perfect.

Too bad they came out dry. Don't you hate when your oven isn't how it should be. Mine is like that - sometimes.

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

Your brownies look great. Sorry they didn't turn out the way you expected. I felt the same way. They weren't chocolatey enough.

I loved the biscotti! That is definitely a keeper recipe in my book. Your's look tasty.

Julie said...

I thought these were dry, too! Yours look beautiful!

Shandy said...

I have those moments where I make the recipe and then do not get to posting. I kick myself until the next week's recipe =). I also have the same issue with baking times for Melissa's recipes.

Your brownies look delicious and so does your biscotti, yummy~ my tea cup would look so cute with a slice of your biscotti waiting to be enjoyed as a pair.

Tessa said...

Sorry that they ended up overbaked! I think we each have our individual preferences for brownies =)

Your biscotti picture makes me want to make those again! We also loved the flavor of the biscotti, but found them a little crunchy. I think I may try cutting back on the baking time in the future.

margot said...

Sorry these brownies weren't the chocolate fix you needed. I added extra chocolate to mine and reduced the baking time and they were quite a hit here (I don't think they're going to make it a whole two days).

The biscotti look fantastic! I thought that was a great recipe.

Lisa said...

Even though the brownies didn't end up the way you hoped and the biscotti was a little dry, they both look fantastic. Your photos are diet killers!! lol

rebecca @ beurrista said...

Sorry they didn't work out for you either- I always have mixed feelings about being less than enthusiastic about a recipe.

Glad the Biscotti worked out!

Tiff said...

Well they look great in the picture, sorry the brownies were dry!
I hear you on the laziness. I probably have 5- 10 recipes waiting to be posted, just can't be bothered to do it yet.

Hanaâ said...

Sorry to hear the brownies were dry (hate it when that happens). They look really good on the picture though. Glad you liked the biscotti better even though you and Melissa's oven are not-in-sync, ha ha :o)

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 said...

I always appreciate honesty when someone posts a recipe that they weren't exactly thrilled with.

They certainly LOOK delicious though!

Nina said...

Sorry they didn't work out. It always happen! They look great though.