Monday, November 30, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers - Creme Brulee

Ack! This Barefoot Bloggers post is so late I'm barely posting it in the correct MONTH!

Ina' s creme brulee was picked by Suzie at Munch+Nibble. I have a creme brulee recipe I've been making since, well, a long time ago. It came from an old (not then) Jim Dodge cookbook and it was perfect every time. So I was pretty skeptical I would like this one because, well, it's not the one I usually make. It uses whole eggs, and I was conflicted about whole eggs in a custard.

I decided to make 1/4 of the recipe, since M. was traveling. Since Ina's recipe calls for using 8 ounce ramekins and I use 4 ounce, I figured I'd still have plenty to enjoy.

The recipe was super easy. I used vanilla bean paste instead of extract because I love the vanilla speckles. I ate one of them slightly warm and it was delicious. The others were enjoyed chilled, and I do mean enjoyed. I was glad I didn't have to share this one!
If you'd like the recipe, you can find it here.

3 comments:

margot said...

That looks really yummy. A 4-oz portion sounds like plenty for a rich dessert. I've never made creme brulee before, but it's been on my to to-try list forever (I even have a torch).

Michele said...

Yum! Your creme brulee looks so perfect!

Kayte said...

Darn, I was going to ask if any of this was left over and if I dropped by, could I have one? Guess not as apparently SOMEONE already enjoyed them all! LOL. Looks great...my favorite dessert!