Sunday, November 16, 2008

What's for lunch?

Even though the kitchen is a work in progress, we still have to eat! 

The weather has been nice and warm this week, and I have been doing a lot of cooking on the grill. The cooking part is fine, but the prep requires a little planning. Here's the table I'm using as my "kitchen:"



I bought some wild salmon from Whole Foods yesterday, and along with some button mushrooms (which I marinated in olive oil and balsamic vinegar), asparagus and corn on the cob, I had the makings of a wonderful salad. I grilled everything and served the salmon and grilled vegetables over romaine with some leftover ranch dressing. I made lots so we now have leftovers for a couple of days. For dinner, I'll put a slightly different spin on the same ingredients. 


Being without a kitchen can be maddening or an adventure, depending on one's point of view. I prefer to look at it like camping, only with a comfy bed and plumbing. Turning out tasty meals without a kitchen is a challenge, one which I believe will make me a better cook. I was never very good at improvising, but I think this experience is helping me test my narrow self-drawn boundaries. At the end of the experiment, I hope to have the kitchen of my dreams, and lots of pent up demand to put it to work.

2 comments:

AmyRuth said...

Whew, never been through a remodeling, life changing, nerve wracking, checkbook busting, hair pulling experience. Know how to cook on the grill though and yours looks delish. Grilled leftovers go really well on pasta which can also be reheated in the microwave. Hang in there. Looks like the finish line is nearing. Yippee
AmyRuth

Anonymous said...

I love grilled veggies. Hopefully the weather holds out until your kitchen is done; that grill will save you from takeout!