Friday, October 3, 2008

Happiness is a warm cookie

























I was overcome with an urge to leave work early the other day and make cookies. I managed to duck out of the office at 3, and once home, I went straight for Baking: From My Kitchen to Yours by Dorie Greenspan. I zeroed in on My Best Chocolate Chip Cookies. I had everything I needed (I used Ghirardelli 60% chocolate chips instead of chopping chocolate as Dorie suggests) and the recipe came together quickly. I made a double batch and scooped out and froze half of what I made. This morning, I baked off the frozen dough and took warm cookies in to work. Is there anything better than warm chocolate chip cookies? These were rich and buttery, with the chocolate chips oozing when broken free from the crisp cookie.

This cookie is delicious as is, but if I were to play with this recipe, I would cut back on the vanilla and add a teaspoon of cinnamon and dried cherries. Or I would chop up some peanut brittle and add it instead of the nuts and chocolate chips (maybe adding cinnamon too). Or toasted coconut and salted macadamia nuts. It's a great springboard to creativity.

Updated 10/28/08

I still get swoony comments about these cookies from some of my coworkers. When the kitchen gets put back together, I hope to bake these again with some variations. Of course, the list of recipes I plan to make when the kitchen is finished grows each day, but these were good and popular. Make them!

No comments: