Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Florida {Lemon + Coconut} Pie


Being a Florida girl (you can read a post of my memories of Miami as a child here), Florida pie is Key lime pie. I am a true Key lime snob (I won't bore you with another Key lime rant). I'm fresh out of limes (our little tree wasn't very productive this year) but I did have a ton of Meyer lemons, so I used the last of them on this pie, which is a cross between coconut cream and lime (or lemon in my case).

I haven't been a huge fan of the other combination pies in Baking from My Home to Yours, so I was hoping this one would be different. The coconut cream (a combination of heavy cream and shredded coconut that is boiled until it reduces by half) looked and smelled heavenly.


The finished pie is good, though because I used lemon (and low acidity lemons at that), it wasn't quite tart enough for my taste. I liked the coconut layer, but I would chop the coconut next time rather than using it out of the bag. I think it would make it less stringy to eat that way. The recipe calls for a meringue topping, but I skipped it. I thought the pie would appeal to my tasters (and us) without it, and it did.

And speaking of tasters, I had every intention taking this one to work, but it kept getting whittled away until it was obvious it wasn't going anywhere. Since it's stored in the freezer, it's an excellent keeper. If you'd like to give it a try, you can find the recipe here.

4 comments:

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

A very nice tropical combination with the coconut and the lemon. I always like graham or cookie crust pies!

Anonymous said...

YUM. This is one is still on my list to bake. I'm glad you liked it.

TeaLady said...

We liked this one too. I used lime juice since I was out of limes and it came out just fine. Combo pires can be tricky.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I definitely afraid to read your key lime rants, since I'm intending to use the bottle key lime juice that's sitting in my fridge. This pie was on my list of things to make before my recent trip but both of my Macs broke on the day before I left town so I was just a bit distracted/distraught. I'll be baking it soon, though. Glad you liked it!