Thursday, December 2, 2010

Porcini Ravioli Spinach Soup


After the excesses of Thanksgiving, this week's Craving Ellie in My Belly recipe was a welcome return of sanity to the dinner table. Like many Americans, I had leftover turkey from the big dinner, and I had porcini cheese ravioli in the freezer. So like so many of Ellie's recipes, it had morphed greatly by the time it hit my dinner table.

Try this delicious soup, but do make it your own. I don't usually have a leftover turkey breast in the fridge, but I could just as easily have used rotisserie chicken, tofu or canned beans.

Many thanks to Bri of Yoshimi vs. Motherhood for picking this week's recipe. You can find the original recipe on her post.

Porcini Ravioli Spinach Soup (adapted from So Easy)
Printer friendly recipe

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced (1 1/2 cups)
2 ribs celery, sliced (1 cup)
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
3 ounces baby spinach, sliced into ribbons (3 cups)
1 package fresh store-bought porcini ravioli (2 cups)
6 ounces cooked turkey breast, cubed or shredded
1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces)

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until the onions are translucent and the garlic is softened, another 3 minutes. Add the carrot, celery, oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until softened, 5 to 6 minutes.

Add the tomatoes with their juices and the broth and bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Add the tortellini and cook until the tortellini are almost cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the turkey breast (if using) and the spinach. Cook for another minute or two. Squeeze the lemon and stir the juice into the soup, season to taste and serve with the parmesan cheese.

Serves 4

9 comments:

TeaLady said...

As usual with Ellie's soup you cannot hurt it by adding more or something different. Porcini would be delicious in this one.

Peggy said...

I commented to husband as I was eating this that it would have been really delicious with chicken in it. But it was good plain too. Your variation looks delicious. Have a great week!!

Anonymous said...

I like your suggestion to make this soup, our own. It adapts easily to our preferences.

I used ravioli also. I thought I had tortellini but it was a spinach cheese ravioli, plump as can be. Yum.

Bri said...

Mmm, I love what you did with this! Lemon? What a great idea! I'll have to remember that for next time. And yes, I'm sure adding a protein to this only made it even better. Thank you for cooking with me!

Hanaâ said...

Your adaptations sound great. I love ravioli. Hubby, not so much, so I don't eat it often. Your addition of turkey is perfect. I did the same thing with the soup I made over the weekend. Have a good Friday!

Anonymous said...

That looks wonderful. I need to get more creative with my store-bought ravioli!

Unknown said...

That ravioli sounds fabulous Leslie! We've started seeing some pretty cool temps here lately and I'm really craving soup.

Anonymous said...

I have heard good things about those porcini ravioli, and this version of the soup looks delicious!

Susan: My Food Obsession said...

What a fabulous looking soup! I have never thought to add ravioli to a dish like this - genius!