Tuesday, August 10, 2010

TWD - Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream


This ice cream and I go way back. I first made it last year, and it has been so popular around here that once I told M. that we were making it for Tuesdays with Dorie, he said to go ahead and take this bombe into work, he'd rather have Dorie's chocolate ganache ice cream.

I've made this ice cream with 60% and 70% bittersweet chocolate, and it's definitely better with 70%. If you're not a dark chocolate lover, you'll want to stick with 60%. If you are a dark chocolate lover, who doesn't love a ganache you can practically stand a spoon in? I used to mix the custard into the ganache obsessively to ensure a smooth texture, but I've since decided that leaving it a little shaggy gives it a texture similar to a stracciatella. Those crunchy bits of chocolate are delightful with the creamy chocolate ice cream. When I made this batch, I let the ganache cool quite a bit before making the custard, so my chocolate pieces a bit larger. Crunchy and delicious!


The hilarious, talented and oh so creative Katrina at Baking and Boys! selected this one, and it didn't surprise me at all that she would gravitate to chocolate ganache. She puts chocolate on or in practically everything. Katrina will have the recipe for you (and I expect she'll do a lot of variations with mix-ins, toppings, etc.) My fellow TWD bakers will also have a field day with this. You can find them all here.

15 comments:

Shandy said...

I can see why you have been making this recipe over and over! We loved the rich and creamy ice cream too. Your idea of leaving little pieces of the chocolate unmelted is a great idea and your chocolate ganache ice cream looks every bit the creamy perfection!

Pamela said...

I don't mind those little "shaggy" bits at all. Yummy!

TeaLady said...

Gret tip. I would never have thought of that. ANd I do love little pices of chocolate in my ice cream. THAT looks perfect.

Anonymous said...

It looks fabulous! I like the darker chocolate too, but I knew my husband would prefer a milder flavor. I had tiny bits of chocolate in mine, and I bet it was from the ganache cooling too much. Thanks for solving my mystery!

Katrina said...

I don't know who likes chocolate more-you or me. I didn't put chocolate in my chocolate! (Or leave it in chunks.) ;) jk
This ice cream is almost too rich for me, but so stinking good that I keep eating bites of it. I might become comatose with a whole bowlful. ;)
Thanks, Leslie, for the compliment and for churning along with me!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Looks perfect! :)

Peggy said...

Love your photos. . and the ice cream looks wonderful. Even with thos shaggy bits. Delicious. I didn't get a chance to make it yet, but I plan to soon.

Julie said...

I love chocolate bits in my ice cream. This looks so delicious. I love all thing chocolate, can't wait to try this one.

Di said...

This recipe is a big favorite around here, too. I actually like it a lot made with 58% (El Rey); I think it's not just the percentage but the quality of chocolate that you use that makes a difference.

Bella Baker said...

I loved this ice cream too...so much! Too much! :) Yours looks delicious with those chocolate bits!

Mimi said...

I like the shaggy bits. This was a fantastic ice cream.
Mimi

Cakelaw said...

Your icecream looks delicious, and I love the way you served it.

Judy said...

I love the idea of having chocolate bits in this ice cream. I also love the little glass you used to serve it.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I am a dark chocolate lover also. In this ice cream, that richness shines through.

Yours looks like it as good as you say it is. This was a winner for me.

Kayte said...

Looks great...I am churning it now for the guys and might blog about it later as I am just that organized with you gone...in other words, hurry back so you can keep me on track!