Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Crunchy and Custardy Peach Tart


We have been blessed with an abundance of peaches this year, including a giant bag of sweet/tart yellow cling peaches from a friend at work. There are so many delicious treats to make with peaches but nothing beats a fresh peach you must eat over the sink so you don't mess up your clothes.

Until now.

I was a bit skeptical about this tart, chosen for Tuesdays with Dorie by Rachel of sweet tarte, hoping it was a combo that worked and did it ever. The custard and the peaches were wonderful together, and the topping provided just the right amount of sweetness and crunch. I seem to have problems following recipes if I make them before 6 AM, and this one was no different. I completely forgot to use almond flour in place of part of the flour, but I still used the trick I learned from Deb at Smitten Kitchen. Deb uses the whole egg in the crust and rolls it instead of pressing it into the pan. I like the way the dough handles better, as my pressing skills are right up there with my piping and decorating skills.

A few blueberries found their way into my tart as I remembered from this crumble how nicely they play with peaches.


I had to work quickly to get a photo of the tart after it was sliced...it was disappearing too fast to wait any longer! My tasters seemed to like it with one scooping up some crumbs and having them with his sorbet.

If you'd like the recipe, Rachel will have it for you here. And if you'd like to see how the other TWD bakers did with this one, you can find them here. And many thanks to Rachel for a delicious and timely pick.

*******PLEASE NOTE: Lethally Delicious is on hiatus for the month of Ramadan. I will be responding to comments but not keeping up with my Google Reader (like I was before...not) or visiting bloggers other than those who leave comments. I'll be back around Sept. 10th with a spirit refreshed by this blessed month of fasting and prayer. Peace.

16 comments:

Cakelaw said...

Your tart looks fab - no wonder it disappeared so fast. All the best for Ramadan.

Hindy said...

Few things more satisfying than a plateful of crumbs and a roomful of happy eaters. Lovely tart!

Sabrina said...

I love that you added blueberries! That looks wonderful!

Valerie Gamine said...

Leslie, you were brilliant to add blueberries to this tart! It looks delicious. I'll have to try the tart-dough rolling technique, I can't seem to press in an even crust. :0

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

mmm. Blueberries would have been a perfect touch for these. :)

Katrina said...

Your tart looks great, love the added blueberries.
But I have to agree--best way to have a peach is straight up over the sink! I had a hard time keeping enough to make this tart because the boys just kept wanting to eat them.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Blueberries and peaches are great together. I would have done that but I just made a blueberry crumble and added peaches to that.

I see yours went quickly. You can't imagine how fast, I got it, into the fridge. I will share tonight.

spike. said...

looks gorgeous with the blueberries!

Unknown said...

Yum, blueberries and peaches...a perfect summer tart and start to Ramadan.

Paula said...

Yes, yes. Love the added blueberries. And I'm going to try to remember the whole egg hint on the pastry.

Di said...

Your tart looks wonderful, Leslie! No wonder it disappeared quickly. =)

Jaime said...

great idea to add the peaches!

TeaLady said...

UUHH!!! Blueberries. Will have to add those next time. LOoks like it was a hit since most of it is GONE!!!

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 said...

That is one lovely tart!

natalia said...

Dearest Leslie, your tart is wonderful !!! Or was....
You bake early because of Ramadan ? I wish you a rich month os silence and prayer ad do ot worry answering. Baci !

Anonymous said...

Great idea to add some blueberries. I like baking in the morning, but starting before 6am is going too far!