Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Oatmeal Breakfast Bread


This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was chosen by Natalie of Oven Love. This is one of those recipes that I would normally have waited to post because, well, I wasn't wild about it. So normally I would wait to see what others thought of it and if I was in the minority, I'd make it again and try to make it successful. But as I write this, Ramadan starts tomorrow and I have posts to write, the house to tidy, laundry to do and, oh yes, lots of work too. So re-baking this one isn't going to get done.

Where did I go wrong? Dorie writes that this recipe is reminiscent of a couple decades ago when replacing the fat in recipes with applesauce was all the rage. I used organic applesauce from Trader Joe's. I used chopped dried apricots from Andy's Orchard, dipping into my precious stash for a handful of these beauties to make my bread. I doubled the streusel and put some in the middle of the loaf and the rest on the top as Dorie suggests. So far so good, right?

Afraid not. Although my loaf tested done, it was a bit damp in the middle. Was it the applesauce, the apricots, the extra sugar from the streusel? I have no idea. But it wasn't just the dampness, it was the weird taste (this was another one that I made while I had a cold/sinus thing going on, so the taste problem could have been mine).

Sorry, Natalie, I really wanted to like this one! I hope you and the other TWD bakers had a better experience with it than I did.

*******PLEASE NOTE: Lethally Delicious is on hiatus for the month of Ramadan. I will be responding to comments but not keeping up with my Google Reader or visiting bloggers other than those who leave comments. I'll be back around Sept. 10th with a spirit refreshed by this blessed month of fasting and prayer. Peace.

21 comments:

Sabrina said...

It looks beautiful! Very nice job!
I left out the raisins and apricots and just had the dried apples. We liked it better that way.

Peace & Blessings to you during Ramadan!

Natalie said...

I'm sorry, too! Maybe try the muffin route next time? Thanks anyways for baking with me. :)

Pamela said...

I'm sorry that this one didn't work out for you. It looks good though, if that counts for anything. Have a wonderful month, my friend!!

Kayte said...

It looks great, just chock full of goodness. See you in September...and use the time spent visiting my blog this month to add some extra prayers, okay? Looking forward to making Indian food with you when you are back online!

Hanaâ said...

I meant to email you last week but I was dealing with a tragedy in my circle of friends...
Ramadan Mubarak, Leslie. I wish you strength, patience and lots of blessings during this holy month :o)

Mary said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't successful with this. I do find applesauce cakes damp and spongy, but mine was underbaked by any calculation. Have a wonderful month, and see you in September.
:)

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your bread looks good even if it tasted funny!

Shandy said...

Well, the bread sounded delicious with all the great additions you added. Sorry you didn't care for it all that much. See you in a month! =)

Anonymous said...

Your bread looks absolutely delightful. Chocked full of wonderful fruit and nuts, just beautiful! I'm sorry that this didn't wow you. Come to think of it, my bread was a bit damp as well. Maybe next time dial back on the applesauce or just omit the milk? Make the recipe into muffins so you won't have that soggy center problem?

Di said...

Sorry this didn't work out quite right. Enjoy your break!

Jennifer said...

Your loaf looks beautiful, even though it didn't quite work out for you.:(

Cakelaw said...

Oh No! Sorry you didn't like it. On the upside, it looks wonderful.

Hindy said...

Your cake looks absolutely delicious. I couldn't wait to read what you had added to give it such a rich texture. Chock it up to funky sinuses.

Tia said...

well, looks count for something right? :)

Mimi said...

Sorry this didn't turn out more to your liking.
Wishing you a peaceful and renewing Ramadan.
Mimi

Judy said...

Your bread looks delicious, even if you didn't enjoy it. Sometimes, I find that dried apricots leave a weird aftertaste, so perhaps that was it. See you next month.

margot said...

Your bread looks wonderful, you can send the leftovers my way! Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

Rachel said...

Bummer that you didn't love this one. Have a wonderful month!

Anonymous said...

I loved this one. I say give it another try and make muffins or minis.

Have a wonderful month!

Katrina said...

I wasn't excited about this one either, and as I read the ingredients, I decided it would work as coffee cake. It did and was great. It was loved by all.
I also made a second coffee cake, all the same ingredients, but banana instead of applesauce with lots of chocolate--heavenly!

TeaLady said...

So sorry this one didn't work for you. It was sooo good. Maybe too much in it?? But it looks good with all the goodies in it.