Saturday, March 14, 2009

Yogurt, elevated


One of my biggest obstacles to losing the last 10 20 pounds is my love of all things dairy. I have friends with varying degrees of lactose intolerance, and I am sincerely sorry whenever I think about what they are missing.

When I crave something creamy and delicious, I often reach for yogurt in one form or another. I lean to fat free and low fat, and fat free Greek yogurt is frequently the one I go for. It's thick and creamy, and good with both sweet and savory adornment. This week, I got to indulge my love of lemon and my love of yogurt by utilizing some left over lemon curd. Yes, I made my own lemon yogurt. Here's how you do it:

Put desired amount of yogurt (I used low-fat Stonyfield Farms Organic Vanilla) in a bowl. Pour leftover lemon curd over yogurt to taste. Sprinkle with toasted nuts or granola. Eat. Repeat. Lick bowl (only if no one is looking). Feel virtuous for using up leftovers AND getting in a calcium serving.

4 comments:

AmyRuth said...

I like to think the virtuous (using up leftovers) qualities certainly overshadow the indulgence. Besides you are receiving some nutritional values. Right? Love the lemon curd too!
AmyRuth

TourGuideJenn said...

I'm with you, Sister. If I had to give up dairy, I would just give up on life!

I love both yogurt and lemon curd, so this is good to know. Looks yummy!

Unknown said...

Yeah, dairy really is where it is at. I could not live without cheese. I always need something crunchy in my yogurt, otherwise I can't get over the texture. But some rich lemon curd might do the trick! I will have to remember this next time I have some extra curd laying around.
Sara/imafoodblog

Flourchild said...

Awww now I know what to do with my left over lemon curd!