Thursday, February 16, 2012

Snickerdoodles


I've been enjoying discovering cookies in Alice Medrich's most recent book Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in Your-Mouth Cookies. I think the enjoyment I get has been heightened by meeting the author when she taught a class in the Bay area. She lives in the area, and she baked cookies for our class herself in her own oven.


That felt very special. It's been about 9 months since that demonstration, but I still love picking up the book and discovering new flavor combinations.

These cookies, though are a classic. Snickerdoodles are a favorite because they have cinnamon sugar coating on a sugar cookie, and they're pretty simple to make. I used Vietnamese cinnamon because of its spicy flavor, and I pressed the cinnamon sugar on to the cookie balls so that the cinnamon would really stick. It must have worked because these were flavorful, if a tad over baked. Watch them carefully and check two minutes before they are supposed to be done. If the edge resists a tiny bit when you nudge it with your finger but you can feel that the edge is the only part that's done, the cookies are perfect chewy cookies. If you like a crisper cookie, bake them a minute or two longer. You can find the recipe here.

Speaking of a crisp cookie, if you're wondering what the wide, flat cookie is, that's the shatteringly thin chocolate chip cookie. I'm not a thin and crispy fan, but these blew me away. Maybe they're next...

9 comments:

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

The plate of assorted cookies baked by a cookbook author? Heaven! I find I need to remove cookies when I think they are a little underdone to avoid an overdone cookie. So easy to overcook them, isn't it?

Unknown said...

Snickerdoodles are one of my very favorite kinds of cookies, but I so rarely make them. Your picture has me motivated to head into the kitchen and make a batch asap!!

Torviewtoronto said...

crispy cookies looks wonderful

pinkstripes said...

I love that book. Haven't made the snickerdoodles yet, but I'm going to have to after seeing yours.

Cindy said...

Hubby loves Snickerdoodles. I haven't made them for ages. This looks like a great recipe, I'll give it a try.
Have a great weekend Leslie.

Unknown said...

Snickerdoodles are my mom's favorites...this post reminds me that I should make a batch and send them her way.

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies said...

I have never had a snickerdoodle and I have never tried Vietnamese cinnamon. After reading this post, I have a strong urge to do both. :)

Pamela said...

The cookies look luscious, and that book sounds like something I need. ;)

Cindy said...

I made these Sunday evening with the Grandkids. Everyone loved them. I'll blog about them soon. Thanks for sharing your recipe.