Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Baking with Julia - White Loaves


This is the first recipe in Tuesdays with Dorie's new book. We'll be baking from Baking with Julia: Savoring the Joys of Baking with America's Best Bakers (and I thought Baking From My Home to Yours was a long title). Baking with Julia will be known as BwJ, and we'll still call Tuesdays with Dorie TWD. Now that we're all straight on the acronyms, let's get started with the book and the bread.

TWD will be baking and posting from Baking with Julia twice per month. I will most likely pick one of those two recipes and post once per month. I'm already feeling a virus/vertigo/broken bone/cold/flu/amnesia coming on and it will probably strike me the week the group makes the Martha Stewart wedding cake, whenever that will be.

Our hosts this month are Laurie (of slush) and Jules (of Someone's in the Kitchen) I've made this bread twice. The first time I substituted 1/3 white whole wheat flour, and the loaf was delicious. It took longer to rise, but it was great. The second time, I made it with all white flour and it was also good.


Fortunately, my mixer is a big KitchenAid and it didn't have a problem handling the dough for this one (though if you're listening KitchenAid, I would LOVE an 8 quart stand mixer). It passed the windowpane test after about 8 minutes. Both times, I tried to retard the formed loaves in the fridge, but it was so enthusiastic that I had to change my plans both times and bake it immediately.

In the past, I've had a problem over proofing my breads, sometimes getting huge air bubbles with lackluster oven spring, so I was more careful to follow Dorie's excellent instructions for this recipe. I was rewarded with nice loaves that were good warm with jam, good at room temperature in sandwiches, and good several days later as toast. I'm not a huge fan of all-white flour breads, so I probably won't make this one all that much, preferring to stick to my transitional riff on Dan Lepard's simple milk loaf (you can find that recipe here), or my interpretation of maple oat loaf using his three knead method (recipe here).

If you'd like the recipe for this bread, you can find it on Jules's post. And you can find the other BwJ bakers' loaves here.

Programming note: This week's TWD make up from BFMHTY will run tomorrow.

17 comments:

Kayte said...

Looks just wonderful, both inside and out. I didn't want to mention my secret source for favorite bread for eating, toasting, grilling, but I was happy to see that you did! Can't beat it for ease, taste, results, and all things a good basic white loaf sandwich bread should be. That said, this recipe this week was nice...it's just not quite as nice as the DL one for us. So happy that you are baking again...it would seem a little lonely if you hadn't decided to throw yourself in again! xo

slush said...

You bread looks perfect, as usual! I am so, so glad you are along for the ride. It would not be the same without you. :)

Anonymous said...

Your loaves look great! Nice shape. I have to make the DL one again. It's been a few years.

Unknown said...

I agree that this bread is easy and delicious and that I won't be making it too often. I subbed out 1/2 the white flour for white whole wheat but still prefer artisan bread. This was delicious, though, and I'd definitely use this recipe if I needed white loaves!

Di said...

Your bread looks perfect, Leslie! I hear you on the enthusiasm of the dough--my oven spring was out of control, and I ended up with an interesting shape to my loaf as a result. =) It was good, but I agree that my variation on DL's milk loaf is still going to be my go-to recipe.

Anonymous said...

I saw the show where Martha made the wedding cake, and I don't think Julia was all that enthusiastic about it either!

Your loaves look really lovely; I do need to try that milk loaf.

Cindy said...

Glad to be baking with you again. I've met so many wonderful people thru TWD.
I will probably have the same illness the week of the MS wedding cake!
This bread was delish but several of you have me convinced I need to try the DL milk bread recipe. Kayte sent me a link, I'll try it soon.
Have a great week.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Will you please decide what your illness is going to be on Wedding Cake Week, so I can pick a different excuse, er, sudden illness? We want to look completely natural, right? There were several of us who agree about our favorite white bread but this one was quite good, especially toasted. Love the perfect shape and crumb of yours.

Hanaâ said...

Your loaves look wonderful. The crumb looks perfect. Thanks for including a link to your fav loaf. I'll definitely try it!

Peggy said...

This is beautiful bread Leslie! I've eaten all of mine and would love another piece. I will have to make this again. Yours looks perfect. That wedding cake will be a test for most of us I'm sure!

Pamela said...

So nice to be back all together again!! Funny stuff about the wedding cake. I think I may have one of those same ailments. ;). Nice bread, my friend

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

I am so glad you are back! No amnesia on the wedding cake! I am actually hoping it is in December so I can use it for my 15th anniversary cake. :) You bread looks perfect!!

Cher Rockwell said...

I am definitely afraid of the wedding cake. Like boogey-men in the dark scared.
Your loaves look perfect!

margot said...

Glad you joined the fun for round two, Leslie! This was a great recipe, no problems here.

OMG, I didn't realize there's a wedding cake in the book! You know, I actually got worried for a minute last year that I would have to make my own wedding cake after the first three or four people I contacted were booked up.

Flourchild said...

WOW it looks so perfect!! I am so happy to be baking with you again! I missed everyone during that little break we had!

Karen/Shortbread said...

First of all, your White Loaves are just perfect - the slice looks like something store-bought (but tastes 100% better, I'm sure)! Secondly, I'm definitely on the fence about the wedding cake. Will have to see how it fits into my schedule. But if you can make that awesome looking Inside Out Cake, you should be able to do the wedding one.

Jaime said...

I love that black plate! great job w/this challenge