Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Mine, Mine, Mine


Even preschoolers know that sharing is caring.

They haven't tried this chocolate sorbet. As much as I love chocolate ice cream, this sorbet is ten times better. With no egg yolks and no custard, the flavor of the chocolate dominates in a very good way.

Start with your best quality bittersweet chocolate (I used Valrhona 70% bittersweet). If you have a scale, put your pan on it and turn it on, then add all of the ingredients. Fewer dishes to wash!

This recipe was selected by Steph at A Whisk and a Spoon for Tuesdays with Dorie. It's so delicious I may never go back to traditional chocolate rice cream. Fortunately I made it within a few days of when I made this mango sorbet (which M. loves), so I don't even have to share with him. Sweet!

Deepest, Darkest Chocolate Sorbet (adapted from Baking From My Home to Yours)
Printer-friendly recipe
7 ounces/200 grams bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup/232 grams milk
1 cup/222 grams water
3/4 cup/150 grams sugar

Stir the ingredients together in a 3- to 4-quart heavy-bottomed saucepan. Put the pan over medium heat and bring the ingredients to a boil, stirring frequently.

Lower the temperature and boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula.

Pour the mixture into a heatproof bowl (a one quart measuring cup is perfect) and refrigerate until chilled before churning the sorbet.

Scrape the chilled sorbet mixture into the bowl of an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Pack the sorbet into a container and freeze for at least 2 hours, until it is firm enough to scoop.

7 comments:

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I love that you didn't even have to share with your husband! I didn't either, because mine's allergic to chocolate. But I did give both of my batches away. Well, I did keep a small container just for me! And this recipe is so easy I can make more at a moment's notice (or whatever the fastest frozen dessert equivalent may be!)

Peggy said...

Beautiful sorbet! Mine was a little too melty the first night but I imagine it is better now that it has frozen a while longer. Delicious though.

Anonymous said...

You're lucky! I had to share. I loved how chocolatey this was, and I loved how easy it was to make!

Unknown said...

I actually chose to share mine, leaving it with the in-laws when I finished house sitting for them. I liked it but super chocolatey things like this never really appeal to me, it's definitely more Shane's thing. Glad it was such a big hit there (and that you got to keep it all for yourself)!

Di said...

Lol. =) That's how I was with the chocolate raspberry swirl ice cream I made recently. I've shared a little of this one, but I'll be making more soon. Oh, and I'm with you, on the put the pan on the scale & add stuff. So easy!

TeaLady said...

Godo thing I never learned to share. don't have to feel guilty!! LOL But I did let B have some.

So intensely good!!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

yes, chocolate sorbet has a pure intensity that custardy ice cream doesn't (tho i do love chocoalte ice cream, too!). i had to share mine, so i may have to make it again soon for another chocolate fix. thanks for making it along with me this week!