Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Peach Upside-Downer


How many of us have looked at the picture of this cake (a cranberry upside-down cake in its original form) and longed to make it? The photo in Baking From My Home to Yours is so inviting. But I never seem to stumble on the photo when cranberries are in season, an obstacle which didn't deter Sabrina of Superflous from making this her pick for Tuesdays with Dorie.

That I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer won't surprise anyone who knows me outside of this blog, but I never noticed Dorie's Playing Around suggestion to make this a peach upside-downer. Serendipitously, I had two peaches left after making this crumble for the umpteenth time, so a peach upside-downer was easier than finding cranberries in early September.

I had some second thoughts about using brown sugar instead of granulated, or deepening the color of the caramel before pouring it in the cake pan, but I did it the way Dorie said to. In the end, it was great, but I think I'd like a more developed caramel flavor. Or maybe even a brown butter caramel flavor...just because brown butter makes everything better. I'd suggest serving it warm with ice cream. It was fine later in the day, but people who ate it warm out of the oven were much more enthusiastic than those who saved it for later.

If you'd like the recipe to create your own upside-downer, Sabrina will have it for you here. You can find the other TWD members, and their upside-downers, here.

21 comments:

Cakelaw said...

Your cake looks stunning! Glad it tasted better warm 'cause I didn't get any of mine cold.

Peggy said...

Leslie those peaches on top look scrumptious! I would love to try a piece of that this morning for my coffee break. I used cranberries and we really loved this recipe.

Sabrina said...

I love the peaches! Looks like a winner! Mmmmm!

Di said...

I agree that fresh out of the oven was best for this cake, but a few seconds in the microwave helped when we ate it later. I like your browned butter idea. And I was tempted to use brown sugar too. Maybe next time. Maybe with apples... Mmm.

Hindy said...

Your cake looks lovely with its delicate yellow peaches. Picture perfect.

chocolatechic said...

Beautiful cake.

I made mine with pineapple.

Cindy said...

Now I need to make your crumble recipe! Your cake is beautiful.

Tia said...

great minds think alike! I did a White Peach version.

Flourchild said...

Yum your cake looks so pretty and shiny! I tried mine with cherries!

Torviewtoronto said...

love upside down cakes delicious

Nichicakes said...

Thats beautiful Leslie!

Anonymous said...

wamr topped with ice cream sounds fantastic.

and i am one of those people who stared at the picture longing to make this cake. i just didn't have the berries for it. But i finally caved. i'm so glad i did ;)

your cake looks absolutely gorgeous, as always!

Anonymous said...

It looks lovely! Both versions sound delicious (I skipped this week). I have managed to miss the "playing around" suggestions for a lot of recipes. I think I need to slow down and read more carefully!

Jaime said...

what a beautiful cake!! i agree that using brown butter and caramelizing it would be fantastic!

Judy said...

It certainly looks like I need to try the peach version. Yours is so decorative and inviting.

Isn't that peach blueberry crumble fabulous? I made it several times this summer.

Katrina said...

Gorgeous peach placement! I did use brown sugar and loved it. I just sprinkled it on the melted butter in the pan. Worked and tasted great with my spiced peach butter.

Paula said...

I agree browned butter makes EVERYTHING better. The arrangement and color of the peaches on your cake is perfect. Very appetizing.

Hanaâ said...

That looks adorable. I love peaches but have yet to make a peach upside down cake (which now might have to wait till next yr). I can't wait to make apple upside down cake.

margot said...

Your cake looks lovely. The photo accompanying this recipe is definitely one of the best in the book!

Jules Someone said...

Mine is peach as well. I would certainly try it next time with the brown sugar. Mmmmm.

Kayte said...

Just beautiful, and the plate it is resting on makes it all look so elegant! You are wrong, you are one sharp cookie!