Thursday, December 3, 2009

CEiMB - Confetti Chili

I'm enjoying yet another bowl of this wonderful chili as I write this post. This week's Craving Ellie in My Belly was chosen by Lauren of I'll Eat You. Lauren also selected this week's Tuesdays with Dorie pick. What are the odds of that happening?

I love a good chili when the weather turns chilly. I live in California, so my idea of cold is much different than others who live in truly cold climates, but I was happy to see that Lauren had picked a chili. I'm not a fan of beef, unless we're talking burgers, so I used lean ground turkey. The recipe in the book is slightly different from the one on the Food Network website, calling for corn and only two kinds of beans. I didn't have frozen corn, so I used three beans (pinto, kidney and garbanzo). I added some chipotle chili powder for extra kick, and I used diced tomatoes instead of crushed. All of the above worked fine except the last one. I think using crushed tomatoes would give this a chili-er consistency.

We were very happy with this one and I'll definitely make it again. And again. And again. So thanks, Lauren!

If you'd like the recipe, you can find it here.

7 comments:

Joanne said...

Looks great. I love to freeze chili and soups for an easy hot fix on cold winter nights when all I want to do is snuggle in front of a fire and forget about lengthy dinner preps.
I really wish we could only suffer California cold. Unfort. in Upstate NY, we get the worst of winter.

margot said...

Leslie, as a fellow Californian, I think it is officially cold now. I don't know what I'd do if I lived somewhere with real weather.

This looks really yummy and I think turkey is perfect in recipes like chili that have a lot of other flavors.

Anonymous said...

I am guilty of not reading as closely as I should because the word corn popped out at me and I started to panic. I thought I made the wrong recipe.

We enjoyed it very much but we are corn eaters and I would have liked that recipe. I also found canned chili beans which I used in place of the kidney beans.

I am glad you enjoyed it too.

Kayte said...

Looks great and am making notes in my book to try your subs as I think they are very worthy of a go around here!

TeaLady said...

this was good and different than other chilis I have made. And that is good.

I used beef and venison and it was nice and lean.

I used my own canned maters so they were somewhere between crushed and diced.

Yours looks great.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Turkey is so good in chili, and this looks like a tasty recipe. It's always fun to find a new hit for a weeknight dinner.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I did you one better. I left out the meat completely. It was just fine that way.