Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Normandy Apple Tart


This week, the Tuesdays with Dorie bakers are making Dorie's Normandy apple tart, selected by Tracey at Tracey's Culinary Adventures. More than any other individual blogger, Tracey's site is the one I check first when searching for something to make on a whim. She's a sweet, generous person and has helped me so much in the past with questions I've had about blogging and photography. I simply couldn't miss her final pick, one of the last ones we'll make with the group.

I was fortunate I had a tart shell premade in the freezer. I don't know if it's Dorie's recipe but it was there and that made this recipe even easier. So too for the apple sauce (I actually substituted apple butter). I used a recipe I learned when I went to canning school at Happy Girl Kitchen last month. I had made it a few weeks ago and I was so pleased with myself that I left the jars out on the counter to bring me a smile whenever I passed through the kitchen.

With the two most time consuming steps already out of the way, this recipe came together in minutes. I made a mini, because that was what the crust in the freezer was, and because I didn't have time to peel a couple of apples. I took the cheek off of one Gala apple, peeled that, thinly sliced it, arranged the slices on top of the apple butter, brushed it with some egg wash and off to the oven it went. 

Mine baked quite quickly because the tart shell was still hot when I loaded it up with the apple butter and apple slices, so I had to cover it with foil to keep the edge of the crust from browning too much. After just 25 minutes, it came out of the oven and I brushed it with a little quince jelly (which was one of the recipes Jordan made at the canning workshop). It gave the apple slices a lovely glow, and the combination of apples and quince is such a natural.

This was a delicious and, yes, even easy dessert with a little advance planning. The mellow tang of the apple butter contrasted nicely with the crisp-tender apple slices and the crunch of the tart shell. The star was truly the apple butter, so I encourage you to use a good quality filling.

If you'd like the recipe as Dorie intended it, Tracey has the recipe posted for you here. And be sure to check out what the other TWD bakers thought...you can find their tarts here.

7 comments:

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Homemade apple butter and quince, you say? I'd call you an overachiever, but I'm too busy taking notes for next time I make the tart! Yours is stunning and I can imagine those flavors together.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

With so many of the steps premade in your past endeavors this sounds quick and easy! It looks delicious and like a fun treat! :) I am going to go back and check out your posts on canning!

Kayte said...

Always fun to read of your adventures in the kitchen, you always have a way of educating me on something new! This looks delightful.

Unknown said...

I love your mini, and especially the modifications you made! Hooray for homemade apple butter! I'm so intrigued by canning school, I need to see if there's something like that around me. I would love to learn!

Thanks for the kind words Leslie, and for baking along this week :)

Katrina said...

Mmm, great idea to use apple butter--gives it a little kick of flavor.

cocoa and coconut said...

This looks like a beautiful classic tart. I love apples after they are baked!

Mannequins Dream said...

that looks delicious! good job!! :D Xx