Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Blueberry Brown Sugar Bundt Cake


Blueberries and I have a uneasy peace. Ever since I was a little girl on vacation with her parents in Mexico, we've not been on great terms. I know they're good for me, high in anti-oxidants, etc. But I can't help remember how violently ill I was after eating blueberry pancakes at IHOP, something I've never forgiven them for.

So this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe, chosen by Cindy of Everyday Insanity, had me skeptical. And something as straightforward as a "plain" blueberry cake had to do cartwheels to get my attention. So it did.


Made in a bundt pan, it was just so beautiful I shamelessly showed it off to a few coworkers, hoping to elicit enough oohs and ahhs to lure me into tasting it. It worked. It was so lovely (not that you can tell with my iPhone photos) that I broke down and ate a slice.

The verdict? The brown sugar lent a caramel note to the cinnamon scented cake, and it was incredibly moist. It didn't turn me into a blueberry lover, but it did turn me into a brown sugar bundt cake lover. I will definitely make this one again, but will probably skip the blueberries in favor of another fruit.

If you'd like the recipe, Cindy has it for you here. Just double the recipe if you want to bake it in a standard bundt cake pan. It will bake for 55-60 minutes.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks fantastic in bundt form! It's too bad that you don't enjoy blueberries, but it's hard to get over those bad experiences with food. There are plenty of other berries out there!

Cindy said...

Thanks Leslie for overcoming your fears and baking with blueberries! It is a great cake with or without blueberries. Bundts are the best! Have a great day.
p.s. I had a similar experience with chili sauce as a child. Retched stuff!

spike. said...

I'm not a huge blueberry fan either but after reading so many great reviews, I think I have to make this one!

Unknown said...

Kudos to you for giving the cake a shot despite your past experiences with blueberries. I have a few food memories like that, and still haven't gotten over them. I love that you turned the cake into a bundt, it's gorgeous!

alvarosa said...

Childhood-eating-memories can just not be conquered, no matter how many years pass by and how irrational they might be! Mine are Brussels sprouts. Fortunately, there are not many cake recipes with them :o] Sorry you can never enjoy these great berries, but I am sure you will find other fruits to re-make this cake!

TeaLady said...

The caramel was the best part of the cake. Definitely a repeat without the berries.

Love the little bundt. Very cute.

Kayte said...

Just because you broke down and tried the blueberries, do NOT expect me to do the same with you-know-what. lol This cake is gorgeous, so pretty in the bundt pan. Looks delicious in slice form as well. We loved it...and I love blueberries!!

Unknown said...

Finally someone bundt-ed this cake! It looks great - and I think just about any fruit would work well with the caramel undertones. Lovely job!

Katrina said...

It does look great as a bundt!

Pamela said...

Very pretty. Things like that are tough to forget. I am sure that this cake would taste fabulous, no matter what fruit you choose. :.-)