Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cheesy Spicy Corny Muffins


Sometimes, you need to trust your instincts in the kitchen. I know that sometimes that results in massive fails, but more often than not, it gives you a great new recipe or helps you avoid disaster.

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie pick was made by Jill of My Next Life. She chose Dorie Greenspan's corniest corn muffin recipe (she'll have Dorie's original recipe for you), but it underwent a transformation in my kitchen. I'm technically from the south (though Miami is its own region) and I don't love sweet cornbread. Strike one. My corn kernels smelled like the freezer. Strike two. And I love cheese...and she lays down a bunt and gets on base!

So I knew I wanted cheddar and I knew I wanted them to have a smoky flavor but not so powerful that it drowned out the corn flavor. Enter my old friend, smoked Spanish paprika. With a couple of tweaks, these little babies were transformed to can't-get-enough savory muffins. They were easy and soooo delicious, so please make them soon.

Cheesy Spicy Corny Muffins
Printer friendly recipe
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
1 cup buttermilk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter or spray the 12 molds in a regular-size muffin pan or fit the molds with paper muffin cups. Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and paprika. In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, melted butter, egg and yolk together until well blended; stir in the cheese. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with the whisk or a rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend. Don’t worry about being thorough – the batter will be lumpy. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.

Bake for 15 to 18 minutes (12 minutes for minis), or until the tops are golden and a thin knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.

Yields 12 muffins

21 comments:

Flourchild said...

SOunds good with cheese and some spice! Im glad you enjoyed !! Your muffins look good!

TeaLady said...

CHEESE!!! Now why didn't I think of that!! I can just imagine how good those muffins are! Great idea!

Jessica said...

Very pretty...especially in those cute little cups! Cheese is always a good addition, and the smoked spanish paprika will definitely be going into my next batch!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

The cheese is a great addition. Recently, I made a cornbread with cheddar and yummy. Yours had to be delicious. Savory is always good, in my opinion.

Cindy said...

I do love smokey paprika and cheese. This has got to be one great muffin. Thanks for the idea! Have a great day--we have snow!

Peggy said...

I love putting cheese in my cornbread too, but I stuck to the recipe on these. Yours look so lovely! YUM

Mimi said...

I do like your take on these muffins.
Mimi

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

I added in grated cheddar, too, along with some chopped green chiles. Loved them! :)

Tia said...

i love your muffin liners!!! i added chipotle and cilantro to mine. great job.
Buttercreambarbie

jillbuker said...

Oh how I love me some pimenton! Your substitutions sound delicious and I can't wait to try them. Thanks for baking along with me this week.

Amber Marie said...

Ooh, cheese! I actually put cheese on some of these for eating, definitely a great addition!

Valerie Gamine said...

Your muffins are so cute! And I love cheese, so maybe I'll try your brilliant version of this recipe. :D

Judy said...

Cheese sounds like another delicious addition. Your muffins look great.

Eliana said...

Hmmm - these look too good to not try. Will certainly be making these this weekend.

Kayte said...

Cheese...what a great idea! Going there next time. These look wonderful...maybe you are right, maybe I should make them again soon.

Unknown said...

Love that you made the recipe your own Leslie! I love Dorie's recipe as written (minus the corn) but I bet Shane would flip for your version. I'll have to make them for him soon :)

Anonymous said...

You can't go wrong with a cup of cheese! They sound and look delicious.

Katrina said...

Yum! Love your additions!

Cakelaw said...

Love the addition of paprika - it's inspired.

Hanaâ said...

I love savory muffins, ever since I made my first ones through our SMS club. Your spin on this one has captured my interest. Will come back to it when we make a big batch of chili :o)

Mary said...

Wow...that sounds great.