Thursday, February 12, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers - Real Spaghetti and Meatballs, Sort of


I'm so excited. This is only my second time cooking along with the Barefoot Bloggers, so you would think I'd throw myself into it and follow every nuance of the recipe.

Not so much.

The meatballs call for veal, pork and beef. I don't touch the first two, and I'm not huge on beef either. The sauce requires wine (another no go) and parsley (I'm the only person on earth who hates parsley). I didn't have spaghetti. But I was determined to press on, so I made turkey meatballs instead. I cooked the sauce for a long time to build the flavor, then pureed it in the food processor to make it look classier. It turned out a little chunkier than I would have liked, but the flavor was spot on with the addition of my secret weapon, balsamic vinegar. I served the meatballs and sauce over a bed of fettucine, with a sprinkle of parmesan.

How was it? Fantastic! I slurped up much more of the large serving than I had planned, but it was so good! I think the meatballs and sauce would freeze well (in separate containers) for an easy weeknight dinner. If you'd like the real recipe, you'll find it here. Check out what the other Barefoot Bloggers did here.

6 comments:

Suzie said...

Glad you enjoyed it. I have frozen half for later as well.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've stuck with the recipe since I started. As much as I love Ina... I love the IDEA of her food more than the actual recipe... way too much fat, etc. for me.

~Cat

Cynthia's Blog said...

Good call on the Turkey! And Yes, it would freeze well.

Anonymous said...

Balsamic vinegar sounds like a great addition, especially when you aren't using the wine. I'll have to keep that in mind. I really liked this, too!

Anonymous said...

Looks good! I tweaked the recipe a little as well, subbing white wine for the red, and using a mix of chicken and beef for the meatballs. super tasty!

TourGuideJenn said...

You'll be delighted to know that the answer to your question is - no, no you are not the only person who doesn't like parsley. I'm not a fan of that or cilantro (which puts me at a distinct disadvantage when sampling world cuisine, since just about every culture uses one or the other as a prominent flavor!).

Your dish looks great, and the freezing idea is a great one!